Sunday, July 12, 2009

TJ's Cub Scout Day Camp

I had the opportunity to go with TJ every day and be a walking parent for his Cub Scout day camp. I am sure that I had made other parents upset because i was there every day but i was told that i had to be there every day in order for him to go so i was able to take a week off work so i could go with him. I had so much fun seeing him do new things and interact with strangers and then become good friends with them by the end of the week.









Eating edible dirt -




Volcano





Archery






Edible Fires





Morning Flag ceremony
I have realized that being with 15 kids all week that i have really good kids and TJ has really good bunch of kids in his cub scout troop. I have also realized how lucky i am to have TJ as a son. We dont get the oppertunity to bond and have one on one every day when there are 3 other kids. One thing that i also am greatful for is the respect that they have with adults and did what was asked or asked not to do something.
There was a boy in another troop that made it really hard for me at times. He had no respect for adults and delibertly didnt stop doing stuff that he was asked not to do. When i talked to the people that ran the camp they infomred me that he takes meds and that it was not his fault. Since when has meds made someone have respect for adults or made them be nice to other kids. I was shocked that everyone made it sound like it was his meds. I know about meds and what they do and dont do and i know for sure that a kids still needs to be accountable for their actions and what they do. Meds can help slow down the brain, but they still have choices to make. I was also told that they were not aware that TJ has ADHD... Um hello accountable for thier actions and following through on what happens with thier actions. And being taught that Adults are athority figures that are to be respected.
All in all though i had a great time with TJ and again i have to say that i am proud that he is my son.

1 comment:

Anne said...

Being there on Tuesday i realized that the den needed someone to be there all week long. I am so Thankful that you were there all week to help them all out.
I think you should get the troop mom award. Thanks for picking owen up in the morning and droping him off too.
I'm glad Owen and TJ are friends. We are going to have to set up more play dates for them. They seem to get along so well.