Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Internet - Watch out!!

Its amazing how you think that your on line info can be leaked out. BreAnna has an instant messaging account and has had it for a few years. When she is working on a project for school or what ever it is easier to work with the other kids on the project by instant messaging. She uses it pretty much every day to even just talk to friends. It is cheaper than texting. Anyway someone that she knows found her password and got into her account and posted some pretty bad stuff on it. She knew who it was so as a mother I called the person and asked to talk to their mother. After getting hung up on i finally got through to her and and of course her child would and could not have done that. I am amazed at how someone can get into something that you think is secure. I always think that it happens to other people and not in our own home.
Isn't it illegal to do that to begin with? I have been really stewing on why someone would do that and be that rude and then when confronted and lie about it. If this does happen were do you go to report it so it doesn't happen to anyone else? So trying to find all that out we finally got a call from this person apologizing. The damage is already done is that enough? They indicated that they didnt mean any harm. Is that what kids do now a days for fun? I am still bitter about it? Do i just let it be? What is the right way to deal with this? Any ideas?

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I would probably be mad about it at first and have a nice talk with the person that hacked in (or have the mother do that). And then make my daughter change all her passwords to her accounts so no one else hacked in. And then tell my daughter to be more careful about getting on sites when around other people and make sure she never shares passwords. I change my passwords the minute there is questionable activity (and then forget them the next day because there are so many!)....and there is so much of it now a days.